Writing an Explanation
An explanation is used when we are transferring personal understandings and collected information from reading to writing. It is the analysis of how things work and aims towards explaining how thing come to be the way they are. The steps to follow are;
- Define what the thing or process is.
- Describe the components or parts.
- Examine and write about how the thing works or operates
- Examine if it has a cause and effect relationship (if we do something to it, does something else happen?)
- Describe its applications - when and where does it work or operate?
- Outline any interesting features or special applications
- If appropriate, an evaluation can also be included