Feel like a challenge???
You can choose to do all, one or none of these challenges, the choice is yours. You will be allowed to use some classroom time, but most of it will need to be done independently. Most importantly, have fun discovering and using those skills you are learning in class. I know how some of you like a challenge!
Write the Next Best-Seller
Use the Writing Ideas box to help you to come up with an idea for a story. Let your creative side free and write to amaze. Remember that good writing has ...
- an introduction which clearly helps the reader to think in the direction that you want them to think. Remember that your reader doesn't know what is in your head, you have to show them with words.
- characters (you need to have a villain and a hero in a good story, and minor characters that help the story to happen)
- characterization (use words to help your reader to understand how the character looks, their feelings, about their personality and sometimes even what they are thinking.) Dialogue can help with this.
- a crisis (problem) and a resolution (solution to a problem) is the reason to tell a story. A good story will have some minor complications and solutions along the way which build to a major crisis and resolution. *** REMEMBER THE SHAPE OF THE STORY MOUNTAIN***
- a conclusion. Your reader needs and wants to feel as though the story has finished and that they know what happened to all of the characters. (try not to have any 'loose ends).
- correct spelling and punctuation. Make sure you follow the editing process. Read through your work and correct any spelling or punctuation errors.
- book language. Does your writing sound like the kind of writing you would find in a book from the library? Can you make the sentences more complex by adding embedded phrases? Do you have a mixture of simple, compound and complex sentences?
Write an Autobiography
- A biography is the story of someones life and their achievements, written by another person.
- An autobiography is the story of someone's life and their achievements, written themselves.
Write an autobiography (writing about your own life), and tell us about the things that make you special. You can include photographs and stories about those special events. In an autobiography you have the advantage of telling your reader what you are thinking and how you feel about things. Remember to use this device to help your reader to understand you and to give them more information.
Design a Machine
Design and make a model of a machine that will make our lives easier.
- Think of a job that you don't like doing because it is difficult, time consuming or very uninteresting.
- Design a machine that will do this job for you
- Make a model of the machine that will show us how it works.
- Include design drawings and a short written statement about the job that the machine will do and how it will be used.
- Draw a picture of you using your machine.
- Name your machine.
Make a Line Graph Challenge by Riley
A line graph is where if you have more of something, the line goes up. If there is less of something the line goes down.
- Create a line graph which shows explains a range of results to a reader.
- Remember to include an X and a Y axis and label them so your reader can understand the information they are reading.